Top tips to help you green your business and save money…
Reducing your impact on the environment doesn’t need to be complicated. A few simple steps could have a huge impact on the planet and your bottom line…
1. Switch off the lights when you leave the building. Lights left on overnight use enough energy in a year to heat a home for almost 5 months.
2. Keep the temperature at 19°C and wear an extra jumper if you get a bit chilly instead of cranking up the heating. Your heating costs will go up by 8% each time you increase the temperature by just one degree.
3. Turn off computers when you leave the building. Leaving a computer on overnight for a year creates enough CO2 to fill a double decker bus.
4. Turn off photocopiers, printers and other electrical equipment at the end of the day. A photocopier left on standby overnight wastes enough energy to make 30 cups of tea or 5,400 A4 copies!
5. Open a window instead of resorting to the air-con. Air conditioning an office for one extra hour a day uses enough energy in a month to power a TV for over a year.
6. Make a sustainable choice for travelling to work. Try walking, cycling, public transport or car sharing. Car sharing to work 10 miles away will save you and your colleague £250 a year - more if there’s three of you!
7. Go green for your away days. Do something environmentally friendly for your team building – why not help a school build an outdoor garden or volunteer at your local wildlife reserve. Not only will you be giving something back to the local community, you’re helping the environment too.
8. Look for the potential in your rubbish. One businesses waste really is another’s treasure. There are a number of waste exchange websites in operation, where users can list materials they would like to re-home, and items they are looking for. Take a look at our Material Exchange portal for more information.
9. Get your staff involved. To keep environmental issues high on staff agendas hold events which focus on different aspects throughout the year. For example hold a ‘think before you print’ day and measure the reduction in paper use over the next few weeks.
10. Ask for help. If you’re struggling to kick-start your environmental management you might want to seek outside help. The SUSTAIN Lincolnshire programme is offering free support for eligible small and medium sized companies.